Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Deco Doll

Mixed Media - Collage & Gouache

Mixed media is fun because it's like piecing a puzzle together.

Now I understand why mixed media artists hoard magazine pages & paper (to avoid wasting time looking all over the house for something that fits), and I understand why most mixed media pieces are large rather than small (fingers seem to be so much bigger when the artwork is smaller). 

 For this portrait, I sketched out the face & later cut and pieced the collage.  The background was then painted with gouache (I ran out of puzzle pieces, i.e., dark paper).

I like the result, but am excited about experimenting with a different process soon.
                                                                    
Deco envelope

Deco box
          

Still loving deco, although Art Nouveau is starting to look pretty interesting.
                 


23 comments:

  1. Love Art Nouveau, especially Alphonse Mucha :)

    The mixed media peace is great :) really nice tone and values to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I really like Mucha, too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really like this, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It's nice trying something new.

      Delete
  3. You have created another great portrait, this time in a different technique. But you're a great artist in every technique, very nice collage!
    Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ulrike.
      I'm a little out of my comfort zone, but still having fun.

      Delete
  4. This is so pretty , really like the creativity involved in mixed art pieces !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris I am so enjoying your collage/mixed media work. Wonderful portrait - loved how you used the dark background with the red to make the face stand out. Will be looking forward to Art Noveau! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Chris!!! SO dramatic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Chris! This is awesome! You never cease to impress me! 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you're my friend! Thanks, Jo!

      Delete
  8. Chris, your collage is striking! Clever girl to paint the background when you ran out of dark paper:) It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this one, Chris. Great combination of found and made parts. Will look forward to seeing more....Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. First I thought the face is painted! Then I saw there are many pieces to form the face - fantastic! Your technique is gorgeous, the face is beautiful, the background is clever painted!
    Rike x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rike. It is a learning experience!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous piece and anyone would love to receive that envelope - but too pretty to put through the mail! I tried some "paper painting" years ago and hated the feeling of the dried glue all over my fingers! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda. Yes, that glue was not my favorite part, but I'd like to try it again.

      Delete
  12. Nice work Chris! I've never tried this collage thing but it looks kind of interesting. The results must be surprising sometimes.

    ReplyDelete